James Maliszewski has a few things to say in regards to the thief as a class.
And, whilst I can understand his reasoning, and I find he has several solid points to make, I am still going to keep the class around in my games.
One of the comments to his post, however, was a tiny eye-opener...
"The OD&D Thief was the first "Skill" class - determined by its abilities to perform particular non-magical skills. As the other classes caught up with non-weapon skills, the double damage of the thief came to fore as a defining element of the class, transforming it into the lightly-armored, sometimes invisible striker that inhabits MMORPGs." - Jeff Grubb
This, in my opinion, is what to avoid. I don't want a thief who is a better fighter, I want a master of stealth and a dungeoneering specialist, not a combat wunderkind.
The combat specialist is, and should remain, the fighter (and his varied sub-classes).
And, on that note...
Next time: The Fighting Men.
[New Magic Item] Time-worn Coin
-
Time-worn Coin ‘This thing is taking forever! Three nights and we are still
not at whatever the coin is trying to reveal to us?’ Dhontor
exclaimed.‘Patienc...
18 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment